Wednesday, June 26, 2013

20 hours in Saskatoon - A controlled flood

Whew. A week ago, we were begging creditors to back our owning two places, renting one out, de-listing our property... today we are watching our sale close and our purchase close within minutes of each other with ideal dates.

Sunday: we make the call to delist. Monday: 'serious' buyers beg one last showing, which becomes two. Tuesday: the 2nd buyer offers, we accept, I buy a ticket and fly to Saskatoon that night.

Wednesday. The South Saskatchewan River is higher, faster, more voluminous than I have every seen it - and at 20,000 gallons a minute, more than has ever been recorded. With the devastation in Calgary, my mind quickly went to imagine the damage this force could wreak. But my dad had some insight - the river, though dramatically dangerous, was controlled. As soon as the authorities heard what was happening as far upstream as Canmore, they opened the Gardiner Dam as far as it would go. Since then, the river through Toon Town would sweep you away in the blink of an eye, but stayed within its banks, booking it for the Lake Winnipeg.

The day was also a controlled flood. I met the superintedent and principal who hired me at Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. We had a great meeting about the meeting of needs and energies between myself and the school division (they call districts divisions there, btw). Then I was able to drop in to the School where the kids will attend on September. Finally, I inspected the house itself. It passed.

In between, I spoke with father, brother, mother. It's incredible - I can't believe I am bringing my family to the city I spent my childhood and adolescence in.

No comments:

Post a Comment