Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sacred in the Mundane

A friend of mine emailed me the other day to let me know that she was expecting another baby. This is of course exciting even if not overly surprising. This is their sixth child and everyone of them have been a welcomed blessing. In fact, babies in their family and in fact the world are a really normal every day occurrence. I have lots of friends who are expecting a baby or have just had one. Babies are born every day, lots of them. You would think that such a normal thing would not bring us just surprising joy, yet everyone calls babies "miraculous" and they are.
Is it any surprise then that God brought the biggest miracle of all to us in the same "ordinary" way. What is so special about a young mother having a baby? What is so wonderful about the news "unto us a child is born"? Isn't that every day news. Why would God not do something more amazing? I don't know, like a big fiery, explosive entrance.
But you know, that is not how I have seen God working in the world. Usually He comes in the every day ways. In the smile of a friend, the beautiful sunset, that still quiet feeling that comes when you know that you are on the right track.
I am not denying that God can and does do big miracles. And hey, a big choir of angles in the sky is a pretty big thing, but for most of us, most of the time God comes in the every day.
Today I saw Him in the laughter of my kids. I felt His presents as I kneaded bread bough. The trick is to see Him, recognize Him in those moments. Most of the time I miss Him. But that is OK, He will be there again. In the next ordinary moment.
Where is He in your day? What brought to true joy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment